We are looking for a highly committed and motivated principal engineer to join the AVIRE team. As one of the most experienced engineers within the team, your mission will be to lead the development of new products across our area of refuge, elevator communications and detector product lines, helping to ensure the safety of millions of people every single day. This position would suit an experienced electronics engineer looking to take their first steps into management, or an existing team leader looking for a new challenge.
We recognise that everyone’s engineering story is a little different, and so we welcome applications from candidates who may have followed a non-traditional career path or taken a career break for any reason.
What will you be doing?
- Providing leadership of a small team of electronics and firmware engineers developing new products within one or more of our areas of refuge, elevator communications or detector product lines.
- Working collaboratively with the UK Engineering Manager and Product Managers to articulate and plan the engineering work required to deliver new and upgraded products and services within your product lines and providing regular updates on technical progress against those plans.
- Leading electronic design throughout the lifecycle, including requirements specification, architectural definition, component selection, PCB layout, testing, qualification and production.
- Developing embedded software in C.
- Working with the supply chain to ensure components and any subcontract designs meet requirements.
- Ensuring that products are designed for manufacture and collaborating closely with our production teams to ensure a suitable production capability is in place, including specifying and developing production test procedures and equipment.
- Supporting investigation of non-conformances and other quality issues.
- Managing and coordinating engineering change and ensuring that a detailed design record is maintained.
- Participate in field evaluations and other market research to ensure Avire maintains its position as the market leader within our target segments.
- Coaching, mentoring and developing more junior engineers, and continually developing your own skills and knowledge of new technologies.
- Supporting the creation of a strong pipeline of ideas which solve real customer problems and pain points, providing insight into market opportunities through customer insights, market research, competitor research, etc.
What type of person are you?
- You are pro-active and enjoy driving your designs all the way through the lifecycle to successful production and market launch.
- You can work independently when required but are also able to collaborate with and delegate work to other engineers to support your own efforts.
- You are detail-oriented and able to track the complexities of a project from start to finish to ensure successful qualification of your designs and handover to production.
- You enjoy passing on your knowledge and experience and are willing to mentor and coach other engineers
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline or have equivalent experience.
- Substantial experience in the whole lifecycle of electronic design, from specification, architectural design, component selection and PCB layout through to test and qualification.
- Experience of working with both analogue and digital signal processing, including dealing with high noise analogue sources.
- Experience of embedded C development for critical applications (e.g., to MISRA C standard)
- Experience in designing for and qualifying products to meet EMC requirements.
Who is Avire?
AVIRE combines 6 market-leading brands (Rath, Janus, E-Motive, TL Jones, Microkey, and Memco) within the elevator and emergency communications industries; currently offering light curtains and emergency telephones / GSMs. Each brand has a strong market presence, a unique identity, a distinct product range, and a long, successful history. The group has manufacturing locations in 4 countries, R&D in 3 countries and Sales & Marketing in 11 countries and employs over 500 people globally.
Avire is part of the Halma group (www.halma.com). Halma offers very high levels of autonomy to its operating companies, while providing support when needed, with a particular focus on talent development and investment in people.
Avire is an equal opportunity employer.
See www.halma.com/our-people for more information.
If you are interested in working for a business whose primary focus is to protect and improve the lives of people around the world, you’ve come to the right place. We aim to be a company that does good work, and that’s good to work for.
Halma employs over 6,300 people in nearly 50 subsidiary businesses based in over 20 countries. Through innovation and acquisition, we have developed a portfolio of market-leading companies within our three sectors: Safety, Medical, and Environmental & Analysis.
- Competitive salary
- Complete benefits package including insurance, 401K, vacation, and generous parental leave
- Opportunity for hybrid work schedule
- A focus on employee development